After further thought, I'm uncomfortable with the word "uncomfortable",
and I regret using it.  In fact, it doesn't appear in the
anti-harrassment policy at all.  I think the essence of the policy is to
provide a "safe" and "non-threatening" space.  I can only speak for
myself, but I'm not committed to creating a "comfortable" space, at
least based on any vague definition of "comfort".

Discomfort is often where dialogue and learning occur.  PHP developers
will not feel "comfortable" when many of the top talkers are Ruby
enthusiasts.  Do we ask them to stop when they curse PHP, or perceive
they are wrongly discriminating against it? No. We challenge their
assumptions and learn about the differences, or we see it for a
religious war timesuck and don't participate.  I see no way for Code4Lib
to regulate comfort, and doing so would lessen the value it provides.

If there is something someone says or does that is unacceptable to me, I
calmly let them know how I feel and why.  It's unrealistic to expect any
behavior to change if you don't take the responsibility to address it
when and where it happens.

Karen, you bring up a good point when you ask about interpretation and
enforcement of the policy, should someone be personally attacked or
harassed on the basis of gender, race, age, etc. How does anyone know
whether the anti-harrassment policy, or which revision, has actually
been adopted and accepted by the group?  Because no one has objected?
Because it's under github/code4lib?  There's only a handful of
"signatures" on it.

How are revisions proposed and made?  Sure, someone can submit changes,
but they are only merged with the consent/approval of the github
admin(s) -- and none of this is done on list because it's a separate
system that has way more usable tools for discussing proposed changes.
That puts the admins in the precarious role of deciding what gets in or
not -- essentially a role of governance that they may not have asked
for.  It can also lead to the perception that changes are made "behind
closed doors" if revisions are not first proposed to and debated on "the
list".  Is that an acceptable process?

Any group decision in the past has been done via diebold-o-tron.  Do we
need a vote to "ratify" the anti-harrassment policy and an appropriate
process for changes?

-Shaun