If you didn't intend offense, then I think the fear is in being publicly
labeled a *ist in front of your peers when you would be more than
willing to comply when made aware or approached in private.  Public
humiliation like that would be a form of punishment that may be undue.
I get what you're saying, and I think everyone on all sides of the issue
has made excellent points.

It seems to me that any party hosting a "meat-space" event, has the
right to implement, interpret, and enforce their own anti-harassment
policy since they are the authority in that context.  Perhaps the one on
GitHub can be used as boilerplate.

I think Ian's idea of the "statement of belief" or "etiquette
guidelines" is possibly more appropriate for online spaces, since in
some cases there is no clear or actual authority.  Even when a fora has
an admin (or perhaps @helpers in the IRC), it adds much more
responsibility and visibility to their role than they may have signed up
for.  Unlike a conference, it's year round responsibility to deal with
any issues that may arise.

I also like Jason's idea of highlighting/promoting the guidelines in
online fora to make sure they are widely read.  For example, the wiki
does have some basic guidelines in this area that might be worthy of
their own "sticky" page:
http://wiki.code4lib.org/index.php/How_to_hack_code4lib#Don.27t_be_sexist.2Fracist.2F.2Aist

-Shaun

--
Shaun Ellis
User Interace Developer, Digital Initiatives