Miscommunication, error, and harassment are all legitimate concerns.
Sometimes one person says something and another person hears it as
offensive where no offense was intended. Sometimes people say things
based on assumptions that they should have questioned but didn't.
Sometimes they set out to dominate or hurt another person. These are
three different things, and treating them as equivalent is more likely
to make the situation worse than to help.

Creating the category of "unintentional harassment" diminishes the
nature of actual harassment. If the statement "I was harassed" means
only "someone said something with good intent that made me feel bad,"
then harassment is a minor thing, not worth bothering with. When words
are stretched, they're stretched in both directions; if harassment has
nothing to do with intent, then it's a relatively minor issue, and
people who harass in the normal sense of the word can hide behind the
dilution of the term. If the stretched meaning of the word becomes
normal, they can say, "Hey, what's the big deal? All I did was harass
her a little."

Speech that "offends" simply on the basis that someone claims to be
offended is a fourth category apart from miscommunication, error, and
harassment. If it's a private conversation and someone says "Stop
talking to me, hanging around me, etc.," that request should be
respected regardless of the reason. But if we're talking about public
speech, a requirement to stop amounts to granting anyone's emotions a
veto on other people's public statements, and I've already discussed the
problem with that.

--
Gary McGath, Professional Software Developer
http://www.garymcgath.com