Thanks, Al. I think we'd join a LOCKSS network rather than run multiple LOCKSS boxes ourselves. Does anyone have any experience with one of those, like the LOCKSS Global Alliance?

Josh Welker

-----Original Message-----
From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Al Matthews
Sent: Friday, January 11, 2013 8:50 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] Digital collection backups

We use LOCKSS as part of MetaArchive. LOCKSS as I understand it is typically spec-d for consumer hardware, and so, presumably as a result of SE Asia flooding, there have been some drive failures and cache downtimes and adjustments accordingly.

However, that is the worst of it, first.

LOCKSS is to some perhaps even considerable degree, tamper-resistant since it relies on mechanisms of collective polling among multiple copies to preserve integrity. This, as opposed to static checksums or some other solution.

As such, it seems to me important to run a LOCKSS box with other LOCKSS boxes; MA cooperative specifies six or so, distributed locations for each cache.

The economic sustainability of such an enterprise is a valid question.
David S H Rosenthal at Stanford seems to lead the charge for this research.

e.g. http://blog.dshr.org/2012/08/amazons-announcement-of-glacier.html#more

I've heard mention from other players that they watch MA carefully for such sustainability considerations, especially because MA uses LOCKSS for non-journal content. In some sense this may extend LOCKSS beyond its original design.

MetaArchive has in my opinion been extremely responsible in designating succession scenarios and disaster recovery scenarios, going to far as to fund, develop and test services for migration out of the system, into an IRODS repository in the initial case.

Al Matthews
AUC Robert W. Woodruff Library

On 1/11/13 9:10 AM, "Joshua Welker" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Good point. But since campus IT will be creating regular
>disaster-recovery backups, the odds that we'd need ever need to
>retrieve more than a handful of files from Glacier at a time is pretty low.
>
>Josh Welker

They are intended for the named recipient(s) only.
If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager or  the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to anyone or make copies.

** IronMail scanned this email for viruses, vandals and malicious content. **