James,

Definitely a simple and elegant solution, but that is not a viable long-term option for us. We currently have tons of old CDs and DVDs full of data, and one of our goals is to wean off those media completely.  Most consumer-grade CDs and DVDs are very poor in terms of long-term data integrity. Those discs have a shelf life of probably a decade or two tops. Plus we are wanting more redundancy than what is offered by having the backups as a collection of discs in a single physical location. But if that works for you guys, power to you. Cheap is good.

Josh Welker

-----Original Message-----
From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of James Gilbert
Sent: Friday, January 11, 2013 9:34 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] Digital collection backups

Hi Josh,

I lurked on this thread, as I did not know the size of your institution.

Being a public library serving about 24,000 residents - we have the small-institution issues as well for this type of project. We recently tackled a similar situation and the solution:

1) Purchase a 3TB SeaGate external network storage device (residential drive from Best Buy)
2) Burn archived materials to DVD
3) Copy files to external storage (on site in my server room)
4) DVDs reside off-site (we are still determining where this would be, as the library does not have a Safe Deposit Box)

This removes external companies, and the data is quick trip home and back.

I know it is not elaborate and fancy, very little code... but it was $150 for the drive; and cost of DVDs.

James Gilbert, BS, MLIS
Systems Librarian
Whitehall Township Public Library
3700 Mechanicsville Road