Hi Jason,

we at Europeana.eu are working on this. We chosed RFDa Light syntax
instead of Microdata syntax.
Our first approach was pretty much the same as of OCLC: put the markup
into a distinct, table-like structure, which contains everything in
the object, and which is not visible for the users initially. Then we
started to inject the markup into the main, human readable section of
the page.
Our metadata schema is called EDM (Europeana Data Model, see
http://pro.europeana.eu/edm-documentation), and contains less element
than MARC. We did not mapped all EDM elements for schema.org
vocabulary, but the most inmportant ones. We will go further with it
as times goes by. We also participate in the W3C's Schema Bib Extend
Community Group (http://www.w3.org/community/schemabibex/).

The most imortant problems we have faced so far:
- the Google's validator tool does not supports for namespaces
- all extractor/validator takes @rel attributes, even if it is for a
nofollow command, not a semantic enrichment
- what ID-s we should use? The URL of the page of the URI of the
bibliographical object/record?

Since our markup in only available on our test servers so far I don't
send you an URL where you can test it right now, but hopefully we will
launch it live in this month.

Regards,
Péter

--