My library is about to launch into a series of quick usability testing
sessions next week for our website.  In terms of software, we wanted to do a
screen and audio capture, but the programs we experimented with were not
sufficiently stable or responsive to fit into our workflow.  There was far
too much risk of the software crashing, or taking forever to compile a
video, or leaving us with a flashing green/white screen (very unpleasant)
that we decided to just use audio capture (based on Window's native Sound
Recorder).

Our general strategy is to set up at a table in the library lobby, and offer
free drinks at the café in exchange for a 10-15 minute usability testing
runthrough (10 questions on the activities our surveys and webstats show are
most important).  We'll do 2 hour sessions each day for 7 days, varying the
time and location to catch as wide an array of people as possible.  Each
session will be operated by two web committee members; one will ask the
tester questions, and the other will record their observations.

I've been experimenting with heatmap.js[1], and hope to find a way to
aggregate and incorporate that data at some point, too.

-Ian
UMass Amherst Libraries

1. http://www.patrick-wied.at/static/heatmapjs/