If you want to work with MARC records, you can use MARC::Detrans (http://search.cpan.org/~esummers/MARC-Detrans-1.41/)

The trick is you will need a config file for Persian.  You also have to decide whether you want to use MARC-8 or UTF-8 before you construct the config file.  We’ve done config files for Urdu (I’ll send you off list), but not Persian.  I expect you could patch up the Urdu to make Persian without too much bother.  It will not be perfect, but probably respectable.  If you have a Persian speaker handy to spell check and tweak the results it will do really well.

One problem with the config files for UTF-8 is that with any diacritical marks in the Romanization you may need to account for two different types of characters. For example in Urdu:

    <rule>

        <roman>h?</roman>

        <marc>?</marc>

    </rule>

May look like

    <rule>

        <roman> ? </roman>

        <marc>?</marc>

    </rule>

But the first  h? = 0068 + 0323 (h + combining dot below)

Whereas the second ? = a 1E25 (a single character)

This little snake in the grass really goofed me up for a while, and makes the config file look duplicative when its not.

Anyway if you’re interested in this alternative, I’ll be glad to provide whatever assistance I can.

JJ