Andromeda's talk this afternoon really struck a chord, as I shared with her
afterwards, because I have the same issue from the other side of the fence.
 I'm among the 1/3 of the crowd today with a CS degree and and IT
background (and no MLS).  I've worked in libraries for years, but when I
have a point to make about how technology can benefit instruction or
reference or collection development, I generally preface it with "I'm not a
librarian, but...".  I shouldn't have to be defensive about that.

Problem is, 'coder' doesn't imply a particular degree -- just the
experience from doing the task, and as Andromeda said, she and most C4Lers
definitely are coders.  But 'librarian' *does* imply MLS/MSLS/etc., and I
respect that.

What's a library word I can use in the same way as coder?

Maccabee

--
Maccabee Levine
Head of Library Technology Services