On Thu, 14 Feb 2013, Cary Gordon wrote:

> I have used Flexigrid, but there are several choices, and one of the
> others might better suit your needs.
>
> I have informally tiered them but my (based on very little) perception
> of their popularity.
>
> Flexigrid: http://flexigrid.info/
>
> Ingrid: http://reconstrukt.com/ingrid/
> jQuery Grid: http://github.com/tonytomov/jqGrid
>
> jqGridView: http://plugins.jquery.com/project/jqGridView
> SlickGrid: http://github.com/mleibman/SlickGrid
> DataTables: http://www.datatables.net/index
> jTable: http://www.jtable.org/

Thanks for the effort, That's the sort of thing that I *don't* need.

I'm concerned about what features they have, and which browsers they
support.

For instance:
 	How can you feed data into it?
 		HTML tables (progressive enhancement)
 		XML
 		JSOC
 		some other API
 	Can it cache data locally, and if so, how?
 		localStorage
 		webDB
 		indexedDB
 	How is it licensed?
 		commercial
 		BSD
 		GPLv2
 		GPLv3
 		LGPL

 	Does it do sorting / filtering / pagination locally, or does it
 	require a server component?

 	Can you extend the datatypes? (to support abnormal sorting)

 	Can you specify a function for rendering?
 		(eg, show negative numbers in red, wrapped in parens;
 		display alternate info when null)

 	Does it support ...
 		tree views?
 		dynamic groupings?
 		column re-ordering?
 		automatic table sizing (to fill the view)?
 		shift-clicking ranges of records?
 		alt/ctrl-clicking multiple records?
 		selecting checkboxes (so the table's a form input)
 		adding new rows?
 		hiding columns?
 		infinate scrolling?
 		editing of cells?
 		adding / deleting records?

 	Does it meet Section 508 requirements?

 	What's the realistic maximum for:
 		number of columns
 		number of rows displayed
 		number of records total (including not displayed)

... and the list goes on ... that's just some of the significant
discriminators I've noticed when looking at the different implementations.

-Joe