Kyle,

Along those lines, I'd say the first place I started learning to be a coder
was writing Excel functions. It was where I learned, in a very basic way,
the ideas of looping through a set, defining and using variables and
constants, etc. The first time I successfully completed an hours worth of
data report drudgery in a few minutes, I was hooked.

But more importantly, I started thinking differently. The data I dealt with
every day suddenly became much more usable and malleable; I really
understood the value of naming conventions, structured data, etc.

Yes I had (and still have) a lot more to learn, but as Jonathan Rochkind
puts it<http://bibwild.wordpress.com/2012/11/27/computational-thinking-getting-started/>,
I had begun thinking computationally about the the everyday problems in my
library. I wouldn't have self-identified as a coder then, but that shift in
thinking certainly started me on the path to becoming a coder.

Chad