Getting back to the original point so noting some nice starting tools, I
find http://www.codecademy.com to be a decent starting spot for those of us
without much computer science background.  I am not sure what professional
developers think of the site but I find it a helpful to tutorial to start
getting a basic understanding of scripting, Ruby, JavaScript, Python,
JQuery, APIs, ect.  Hope that helps.

Matt Sherman