First, I have not been programming nearly as long as any of you - just shy
of 20 years now.

I learned to program in C++ first.  Then Java.  Then Assembly.  I use none
of them now, but I still implement some habits and principles I learned
from those in the languages I use now.  It probably isn't the best path for
you, but it was my path.

My recommendation to those interested in coding, either professionally or
as a hobby, is to find your passion - find an application you can
immediately have an impact on, and see the result - and then get picky with
the language, if you must.  For me, at least, the most infuriating thing
was not having an application to apply whatever new skill I picked up on.