Yes, Google Custom Search is not too bad, if your PDFs are sorted
meaningfully by directory, and if you submit a site map to Google for more
complete indexing.  You can use Xenu to make a site map, put the site map
online as a static XML file, and then use Google Webmaster Tools to pass
the location of the site map.  This helps Google to index your site more
completely.  Then you periodically recreate and update the site map.

For homegrown search, I would have recommended Swish-e, if you hadn't said
it was out of reach.

-Wilhelmina Randtke