I second Paul's suggestion.

All due respect to the institution you work for, but this doesn't sound
like a problem best solved with software.  If I'm the backup help, and I'm
talking with a colleague in their office, or making another pot of coffee,
I won't get your notice on my computer until I go back to my desk.

Do you have some kind of library-wide intercom system?  Maybe something
that could generate a gentle tone, that would largely go undetected by your
patrons, but is a recognizable by the staff?

Then again, I don't work in a library, either.

Mark