with regards to Class extending Object,  should this error be possible?

error: clone() has protected access in Object
    Class.clone();
             ^

Of course this sort of nit-picking is absolutely not constructive.  I'm
just saying that if you're teaching the "Object Oriented" programming
paradigm, there are better choices than Java.  Java is a really difficult
language for the beginner.  How many professional Java programmers can work
without an IDE?   Compare that to the same metric for any scripting
language.

-Justin.

P.S.

error: clone() has protected access in Object
    System.out.println(Class.clone().toString());
                            ^