>  At a meeting recently, I was listening to a work leader lament how, if
> she is the only person there, she is just too busy to make a phone call or
> send an email asking for help - a common occurrence.  After I heard her, I
> wondered how possible it would be to create some sort of desktop 'app'.
>  One that requires only one click and is smart enough to know its service
> desk location and is sent to the right folks who could come assist right
> away, upon demand.

The low tech way to achieve this would be to just have a shortcut pinned to
the windows task bar that triggers a web service. A variable passed along
in the URL would indicate your location which would be transmitted in a
canned email to everyone. For added reach, the web service could ping
peoples' cell phones. Any of your local systems people should be able to
whip this in less than an hour.

Regarding the windows messaging service suggestion, that doesn't seem like
an improvement on email (also, those types of messages are frequently
blocked).

kyle