Kyle, I think you've got some good points. But I'd hesitate to suggest that
the core problem with compliance stems from learned helplessness, laziness,
etc. Certainly that could be an aspect of it for some individuals, but i
think the systemic core of the problem is a little broader, at least in our
culture. Staff numbers remain static, but responsibilities (and gate
counts) keep increasing. As things get busier, we focus on our core
responsibilities and some of the added stuff can fall to the wayside. If
the overhead of participating in the backup system exceeds the available
mental space, then people are going to forget/ignore it in lieu of more
central concerns. I don't think this is indicative of poor staff quality,
though -- just a natural process of triage.

I don't think the correct solution is punitive -- that would only make the
existing problem of managing responsibilities worse. Assuming that we're
not going to get additional personnel, the best route is probably to
implement a system that's as streamlined and easy as possible for the
participants. This is why the doorbell works so well. See line: ring bell.
Hear bell: come assist. There's only one active element in the scenario,
everything else happens passively until help is requested; and the active
element is easy to do and can be done without taking too much attention
away from the main task of assisting patrons.

As for the particulars of implementing such a system, that's all
engineering. I'm sure there's a way a similar system could be implemented
that would get around the inherent limitations of the building
configuration. You could have doorbell-over-IP for all I know. Or something
something Arduino something something. I agree, though, that the general PA
system would be a bad bet and disturb patrons. One of the reason our
doorbell is pretty reliable is that the chime lives in a non-public staff
space, but where staff are typically around to hear it. (Incidentally, our
RF doorbell, at the limit of its range, is about 175 feet from the chime,
and passes through three walls and an electrical closet as the crow flies
(but only one wall if RF is good at bouncing around corners).)