Or something like LiveCode/HyperCard? (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HyperCard;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LiveCode) Because there's currently a
Kickstarter campaign (
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1755283828/open-source-edition-of-livecode)
to create an open-source edition of LiveCode for use in education, and if
one reads their arguments for why LiveCode is the best way to teach
computer programming in high schools (
http://www.runrev.com/education/k12.html), it seems to address a lot of
these problems.

Also, this: http://www.volokh.com/2013/02/18/hypercard-redux/

Disclaimer: I know nothing about LiveCode, HyperCard, or the people behind
it that I didn't read at one of those links in the past few days.

Julia