On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 12:50 AM, Kyle Banerjee <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> We have a few digitized books, (some of them are old -- we're talking 500
> years). Sizes are all over the place but the big ones are easily the size
> of a large briefcase.
>
> We want to make these works more accessible/usable and there's some demand
> to make them available for tablets. What experience do people have with
> stuff like that, and what software/services/methods do you recommend?
>
> Source files are 600 dpi uncompressed tiffs so they're pretty big and
> there's nothing special about a book being over 10GB in size. Thanks,
>
> kyle

I have tried an open source project Diva
I have greyscale images in TIFF for the online zoomable display of some manuals

Here is a scan of a photocopy 36 page
http://www.collection.archivist.info/diva/#z=4&p=32
and here a technical manual
http://www.collection.archivist.info/diva/lucastp1.html
I have two copies so the user can see two views at the same time on
the second example.

They are served on an ADSL line direct from home so you can get the
idea of its speed due to the way
it is only sending tiles as needed for display and not bloat like whole PDF.

Dave Caroline