> I did PDF.  There are about no studies on PDF size and usability.  What I
> did is go to gray scale for text pages to knock down file size, played with
> optimizing, and broke super long (think 3K page book) files in smaller
> chunks....
>
> When I looked at other big long books online, I found they tended to use
> 300 dpi gray scale or 600 dpi black and white.  I just looked at government
> documents, because that's what I worked with.

Hadn't thought about doing government reports. That's a good use case for
what we have -- one of ours got downloaded about 7,000 times last month
alone. I could probably make those really manageable in size as most pages
would be just fine bitonal.

Can you say a bit about what you discovered while playing with
optimization? Since archival books are a prime target, fidelity is
important -- there is significant artwork on many  pages. I'll have to
scale down and would really like to avoid grayscaling if necessary.

kyle