Yes.  Exactly.  It's like saying you can't go to the doctor or hire a
lawyer without a bit of medical or law school.  Doctors and lawyers need
to be able to explain what they're doing.

Another skill that would be useful is understanding databases, by which
I do not mean learning SQL.  Too many people's idea of working with data
is Excel, which provides no structure for data. Type in any data in any
box.  There is none of the data integrity that a database requires.
Here my ideal is "Database Design for Mere Mortals" which teaches no SQL
at all but teaches how to work from data you know and use and arrive at
a structure that could easily be put into a database.  It's not just
data, but data structure that needs to be understood.  I've seen plenty
of evidence that people who build commercial database-backed software
don't understand database structure.

Chris