Adding to what Chad says, most folks I know who work in offices that
have some of their functions in a computing environment (and that
includes libraries) get their first taste of programming by learning how
to use the macro language for whatever software supports their job.
Building on that seems to me to be a great place to start. This can
include (ugh!) Excel macros, then building to exporting the data and
doing more "free range" operations, and then on to using consumer-level
database technology (Filemaker, Access). I think people respond best to
learning a tool with immediate application to their job rather than some
abstract notion of "programming." They also can more easily justify the
learning time when there is an immediate application.

kc

--
Karen Coyle
[log in to unmask] http://kcoyle.net