Mark, your blog post gives me pointers and directions that will take
weeks to follow, but I'm glad to have a starting point. Thanks. Your
references to hypertext and creation with hypertext remind me of David
Lankes' "library as conversation" [1]. I like the ongoing, always
moving, always changing view of libraries and archives, as opposed to
the "finite set of things we own" view. I want a library that consists
of the "stuff" plus the conversation between the authors and the users,
and between users and users. What's important about the "stuff" is HOW
it is used. Someone at d4l13 mentioned user-generated metadata and I
wrote down: what about "USE-generated metadata?" What people do with a
book may be more important the the (inert) book itself.

So that's what I'm thinking about. Basically a library of people who use
resources, not a library of resources that ignores their use.

kc

[1] http://informationr.net/ir/12-4/colis05.html and his book "Atlas of
New Librarianship" at http://www.newlibrarianship.org/wordpress/?author=1

--