> I was tempted to open my response with "anarchivist++", partly as an
> allusion to your point about "protological control", and partly to
> point out that in our own community here we have a form of that as
> well, though unlike facebook's "like", it is both owned by & beholden
> to _us_... I'm not sure why I think that makes a difference, but I do.

It does make a difference. There are certainly use cases for supporting
an idea with a "like" or "+1" response if one has nothing more to add
or could not say it any better.  "Like" is not necessarily the problem.

I think the problem is that Facebook tries to use that "like" data to
jump to all sorts of conclusions about us and our relationship to
others.  These oversimplified "definitions" are then reinforced in the
algorithms and software design, creating some kind of dissonance with
our mental models.  I can see how that could contribute to depression
and feelings of isolation for Facebook users.

-Shaun