We are seeking a full-stack web developer to join the development team to work
on our patent/scientific search engine. You will be working
on expanding the user-facing side of our search system; as well as greenfield
collaborative editing and interactive data-exploration
systems. We're a small team and expect you to take a
proactive role in determining how (and with what) our systems are
built.

You will work across all the components of our front-end system, comprising
mainly: Linux/EC2, Mysql/Lucene, Java/Spring, Javascript/Backbone and
HTML/CSS.

**Responsibilities:**

  * Develop highly interactive web-based services for data exploration and collaboration using massive textual data sets from patents and scientific knowledge.

**The ideal candidate:**

  * Is already a full-stack web developer.
  * Has an excellent knowledge of modern HTML5/CSS3
  * Has experience bringing a modern javascript-heavy webapp to production, and knows how to avoid the common pitfalls with complex javascript apps
  * Is passionate and has well-reasoned opinions about (web)development
  * Is proactive and is willing to take the lead on design and implementation of systems without micromanagement

**Required Skills:**

  * HTML/CSS. Applied knowledge of HTML5/CSS3 and a deep understanding of CSS inheritance and how to use it to your advantage.
  * Javascript. Should be familiar with bringing a moderately complex javascript app to production. We use tools like jasmine, selenium, underscore and backbone
  * Java/JVM. Our current webapp is built around Java / Spring MVC. We're moving some systems to Scala so experience with additional JVM languages is a plus.
  * Git. We use git for version control. A github account is highly regarded.
  * Linux. We develop on osx and deploy on linux. Familiarity with the basic tools is required, any administration skills are a bonus.

**About The Lens: Cambia, NICTA**
_Our goal is to greatly enhance the public good by creating an open and
inclusive innovation system, which melds many disparate information sources,
dramatically expanding the availability and discoverability of human
knowledge. We think of it as 'Innovation Cartography', maps which allow us to
discover otherwise unreachable knowledge.

Working on the Lens is a Lifestyle choice. Flexible work hours and a casual,
friendly environment in exchange for passion and
dedication. Our team is small, highly productive, open-
minded about solutions and focused on delivering high-impact public
goods. We thrive on humor and good coffee, so a creatively
tattooed, fedora-wearing, wryly funny code-master barista would be most
welcome._

**NICTA**
NICTA (National ICT Australia Ltd) is Australia's Information and
Communications Technology Research Centre of Excellence. NICTA develops
technologies that generate economic, social and environmental benefits for
Australia. NICTA collaborates with industry on joint projects, creates new
companies, and provides new talent to the ICT sector through a NICTA-enhanced
PhD program. With four laboratories around Australia and over 700 people,
NICTA is the largest organisation in Australia dedicated to ICT research.

NICTA is funded by the Australian Government through the Department of
Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy and the Australian Research
Council through the ICT Centre of Excellence Program. NICTA is also funded and
supported by the Australian Capital Territory, the New South Wales and
Victorian Governments, the Australian National University, the University of
New South Wales, the University of Melbourne, the University of Queensland,
the University of Sydney, Griffith University, Queensland University of
Technology and Monash University.

**Cambia**
Cambia is a globally prominent not-for-profit social enterprise and the
leading provider of free patent and intellectual property search and analysis.
Cambia's mission is the democratization of problem solving using science and
technology. Cambia is the founding
partner of the Lens, together with NICTA (National ICT Australia) and QUT
(Queensland University of Technology).

Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/6411/