Well, Jonathan. I believe that you were one of the ones who defended the
predominance of non-code talk on IRC as "community building." So, is the
listserv for code and IRC for play? (filters, Jonathan, use the
filters!) Note that many of us eschew the IRC channel because it appears
to be a gross waste of time. (And note that in our discussion the
majority of folks who made that statement were men, so don't take it as
a gender thing.)

One interesting note is that flame wars rarely seem to break out on IRC.
I suspect it is because the nature of the communication doesn't allow
one to capture audience attention long enough to make a clear statement
of one's position. However, that same nature of communication makes it
hard to get deep about anything. IRC seems to promote chit-chat, even
though some of that chit-chat is informative.

kc

--
Karen Coyle
[log in to unmask] http://kcoyle.net