Emily, no, I didn't mean to imply that you thought math was hard,
although that is a myth (remember Barbie "Math is hard"?) about women.
So I wanted to make the point that math isn't any harder for women than
men, other than the social prescriptions that lead to Barbie-isms.

What does rather shock me is that the response of some on the list is to
defend math, and a mathematical view of coding, just when they have been
told that doesn't always work for everyone. I will use Bess's talk at
c4l13 as an example:

paraphrasing Bess: I was going to call my talk "being an evangelist for
your open source project." A friend who is Jewish told me he isn't
comfortable with "evangelist" because it is a Christian-themed term. So,
I changed the name of my talk.

Another approach she could have taken was to explain to her friend that
1) his feeling is wrong and 2) evangelist is not only just fine as a
term, and is even the best term for what she means.

I agree with what you say here: "you can get a lot of good coding done
with a natural aptitude for logic and pattern, not necessarily math or
computer science." But someone will undoubtedly feel threatened by that
and will explain that to be a GOOD coder or a REAL coder, you've got to
know math. In other words, there's an us and them, and US is better than
them.

I despair of ever getting through to some folks.

kc

--
Karen Coyle
[log in to unmask] http://kcoyle.net