On Feb 14, 2013, at 8:57 AM, Karen Coyle wrote:

> EVERYONE should know some code. see:
> http://laboratorium.net/archive/2013/01/16/my_career_as_a_bulk_downloader
>
> But it's hard to find the classes that teach "coding for everyone". This would be a good thing for c4l'ers to do in their institutions. How to write the short script you need to do something practical. Also, how to throw a few things into a database so you can re-munge it or explore some connections. We need those classes. We need to turn a room in the library into a hacker space for the staff. A learning lab.

I just realized that the e-mails from Chris Erdmann a couple of weeks back were *not* on code4lib ... he's running a class on programming for librarians (specifically for processing data), and in a couple of weeks, they're going to have a workshop on interfaces at Harvard.  See below.  Also, a blog post from last month arguing that all librarians should know how to program:

	http://altbibl.io/dst4l/109/

-Joe

ps. personally, I *hate* the term coder ... one, it make me think 'code monkey', and what I do is much more involved than that (analyst, architect, sysadmin, dba, programing, debugging, tech support, etc.).  If I had a MLS, I might be a 'Systems Librarian', but I have a MIM (Info. Management ... still an LIS degree, but not the same accreditation);  It's still easier to tell the library community that's what I am, and it's easier to explain what I do to the science  by telling them I'm a 'data librarian'.*

Two, 'coding' is a relatively minor skill.  It's like putting 'typist' as a job title, because you use your keyboard a lot at work.  Figuring out what needs to be written/typed/coded is more important than the actual writing aspect of it.  As for titles, over the years, I've had the job title of :

	Programmer/Analyst
	Systems Analyst
	Software Engineer
	UNIX Engineer
	Multimedia Applications Analyst
	Short Guy with Beard (which was only funny because there was a much shorter guy with a more impressive beard)
	Web Developer
	Webmaster (back when it meant the person who administered the service, not the person who made the website)
	System Administrator
	... etc.

(I've had a lot as the university I worked at tied titles to pay rate, so every promotion required getting new business cards; right now, I work for a contractor, and the contractor gives me different titles than what NASA has me down as ... it's important what roles that I play, and the work that I do than what category someone's lumped me in.  If you're going to insist on it, I'd rather it be broad, like 'techie' than just a 'coder'.)

* and to make it more confusing, my company's title for me is 'Principal Software Engineer', but I don't meet the requirements to be an engineer.  I went to an ABET accredited engineering program, but never took the EIT/FE or PE tests.  So I try to avoid the 'engineer' titles, too.

Begin forwarded message:

> From: [log in to unmask]
> Date: February 7, 2013 6:57:37 AM EST
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: [PAMNET] Liberact Workshop and Data Scientist Training for Librarians
>
> Good morning!
>
> Just a reminder to those thinking about interactive technologies in libraries, this workshop may be of interest:
> http://altbibl.io/liberact/
>
> Also, we just started a course called Data Scientist Training for Librarians. Follow along here:
> http://altbibl.io/dst4l/blog/
>
> Please forward to interested colleagues.
>
> Best regards,
> Christopher Erdmann, Head Librarian
> Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics

Begin forwarded message: