Wow, Interesting. But I am not fun of Perl. Is there other workshop?

Kun

-----Original Message-----
From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Joe Hourcle
Sent: Friday, February 15, 2013 8:59 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] You *are* a coder. So what am I?

On Feb 15, 2013, at 8:22 AM, Kyle Banerjee wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 7:40 AM, Jason Griffey <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> The vast, vast, vast, vast majority of people have absolutely no clue
>> how code translates into instructions for the magic glowing screen
>> they look at all day. Even a tiny bit of empowerment in that arena
>> can make huge differences in productivity and communication abilities
>>

> This is what it boils down to.
>
> C4l is dominated by linux based web apps. For people in a typical
> office setting, the technologies these involve are a lousy place to
> start learning to program. What most of them need is very different
> than what is discussed here and it depends heavily on their use case and environment.
>
> A bit of VBA, vbs, or some proprietary scripting language that
> interfaces with an app they use all the time to help with a small
> problem is a more realistic entry point for most people. However,
> discussion of such things is practically nonexistent here.

Well, as you mention that ... I'm one of the organizers of the DC-Baltimore Perl Workshop :

	http://dcbpw.org/dcbpw2013/

Last year, we targeted the beginner's track as a sort of 'Perl as a second language', assuming that you already knew the basic concepts of programming (what's a variable, an array, a function,
etc.)

Would it be worth us aiming for an even lower level of expertise?

-Joe

ps.  Students & the unemployed are free ... $25 before March 1st,
     $50 after; will be April 20th at U. Baltimore.  We're also
     in talks with a training company to have either another track
     of paid training or a separate day (likely Sunday); they
     wouldn't necessarily be Perl-specific.