Hi Chris,

Well, BASIC style language is my "first" language. It is pretty easy for someone to start with.

Kun

-----Original Message-----
From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Chris Gray
Sent: Friday, February 15, 2013 9:17 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] You *are* a coder. So what am I?

I would suggest any attempt to teach people to code should begin with Software Carpentry <http://www.software-carpentry.org/about/90seconds.html>.

An important point here is that there are many misconceptions about programing and teaching that won't stand up to empirical investigation.
<http://software-carpentry.org/4_0/softeng/ebse.html>

I'm afraid on that score, Perl is not a good choice for a first language (nor is VBScript or VBA).  I know people won't like me for saying that but there is hope of getting past religious wars if we insist on evidence over opinion.

Chris