There is *no* ideal first language. PHP is fine. Perl is fine. All of them are terrible in their own ways. ;-) Any of them will give you an idea of how programming logic works, if you want to stop there. If you don't, you mustn't stick with just one language. They all have their problems, and the only way to know how they complement each other is to learn how different languages work. You will find your favorites. You will grow to hate some of them.

Have fun,
Hugh