On 2/19/2013 12:19 PM, Michael Schofield wrote:
> Hey world,
>
> I suppose I could start appending footnotes to my ranty emails.
> Johnathan is definitely right regarding jQuery while I was
> generalizing. Yes, jq1.8 will be supported - but, if you wanted to,
> you could still run a site using jq1.4.

Dude, you are still spreading FUD.  (Although I confused things more by
talking about 1.8 when I didn't mean 1.8 -- I meant 1.9, which will
support IE <9, and 2.0 which will not).

You COULD run a site on JQuery 1.4, but JQuery 1.4 is no longer
supported, and does not have the features that recent JQueries do.

This IS NOT THE SITUATION WITH JQUERY 1.9 VS 2.0. (NOTE WELL I had the
version numbers wrong before. It's 1.9 and 2.0 I am talking about, not
1.8 and 1.9)  I put that in all caps because people seem to be
frequently misunderstanding this, and you are spreading misinformation
by making this comparison.

JQuery 1.9 will continue to be officially supported for the indefinite
future, it has no End of Life. And it will be supported with _feature
parity_ with 1.9.  If they add new features to 2.0, they will add it to
1.9.  1.9 and 2.0 will be _simultaneous alternatives_.  With 1.9
supporting IE <9, and 2.0 not.  It is even encouraged that if you want
to support IE <9, you could deliver a JQ 1.9 to those IE, and a JQ 2.0
to everyone else -- and all your actual app code built on JQ should work
on either, the commitment is to make them identically compatible.

This has not happened with Jquery before is why it's confusing people.
It is NOT NOT NOT comparable to "you could still run a site using jquery
1.4."

http://blog.jquery.com/2013/01/14/the-state-of-jquery-2013/

First of all, let’s be very clear: The jQuery team does “worry about” IE
6/7/8, with jQuery 1.9. We’ve created a legacy-free jQuery 2.0 in order
to address the many situations where older versions of IE aren’t needed.
Some glorious day in the future, jQuery 2.0 will be the only version
you’ll need; until then we’ll continue to maintain jQuery 1.9.

  The jQuery team is moving