I'm not intending to spread misinformation, and my comparison doesn't fall apart. My reason for even mentioning jquery is to illustrate the trend of influential stakeholders to move past support for old IE. Even my personal example doesn't involve dropping IE8 cold turkey, but that the wind is changing and I am interested in whether libraries should begin elbow nudging users for a better experience.

jQuery 1.9, if not given a kill date, is transitionary. The transition may take years. It's still a less than optimal experience for IE8. As auto-updating modern browsers broaden the gap, that experience will get worse. Even though jquery 1.9 will pick up the slack with javascript that other browsers can render with CSS, that doesn't mean it's a good experience. In fact, it will be a much slower one.

My whole reason for sharing this thread is to question whether libraries should / could reduce support, how and when.