>* Myth #4 : GitHub is monopolizing open source software development.
>> "... to its unfortunate centralizing of so much free/open
>> source software on one platform.)"
>
> Convergence is not always a bad thing. GitHub provides a great, free
> service with lots of helpful collaboration tools beyond version control.
> It's natural that people would flock there, despite having lots of
> other options.

Github is free as in beer, which is awesome. I love beer. I love free beer.

There are definite benefits to having a centralized place for code. GitHub
developers and UI designers have created an excellent platform. However, I
can understand the uneasiness. In the end Github's interests are
corporate. Those interests might not always be well-aligned with our
interests.

For me the pros of centralization and the distribution of the git
repositories is enough for me to strongly advocate for Github, but there
are cons and I wouldn't call them myths.

-Stephanie