The METS Registered Profiles, http://www.loc.gov/standards/mets/mets-registered-profiles.html, are required to have at least one sample METS document in their appendices.  It's a little extra work to extract the METS files from the profiles, but these should give you a large variety of different METS documents with which to work.

Regards,
Tom