On Feb 22, 2013, at 11:39 AM, Cary Gordon <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Is a solid math background necessary to program? Of course not. Sooner
> or later though, programmers need a solid understanding of logic.

I concur. The reason mathematics is so closely tied to computer programming is because both mathematics and computer programing require rigorous and systematic thinking. Both mathematics and computer programming start out with a simple and rudimentary set of syntax and semantics. Improper use of the syntax outputs nothing. Poor semantics creates confusion. Use them correctly, and systems are created. It is a lot like music as well. Here is the tool -- a flute. Here are the notes it can play. Combine the notes to create beautiful music. Combine the functions of computers to create beautiful solutions. Combine the elements of mathematics to create beautiful descriptions.

--
Eric Lease Morgan