From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ken Irwin
Sent: 27 February 2013 13:53
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] back to minorities question, seeking guidance

What both Kelly and David say is true here:
David: programming needs math, not arithmetic.
Kelly: computers are good at arithmetic on their own.

To which I'll add: the related skill that I see as necessary here is quantitative reasoning - not the crunching of numbers but the correct assembly of the formulae, articulating the systematization of the problem.

What I'm less certain of is what sort of training tend to lead to that sort of conceptual skill.

Ken