The Fedora Futures project is happy to announce the winners of the fedora4lib Developer Challenge (http://fedora4lib.org/hack/), an event held at this year's code4lib conference in Chicago to build software to extend and enhance our prototype of Fedora 4.

Fedora Futures is community-driven effort to make major improvements to Fedora, an open-source repository platform for the management, dissemination and preservation of digital content. For more information about Fedora Futures, see: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/FF/Fedora+Futures+Prospectus.

On February 11 and 12, the Fedora Futures team hosted two hackfests to introduce our work thus far on the Fedora 4 prototype and developers were challenged to implement to features and enhancements in the span of just 2.5 days.

First Place ($500.00 USD)
Fedora.FS by Stephen Eisenhauer
A filesystem driver built using FUSE which allows a user to mount a Fedora 4 repository to a directory on their local machine.
See: https://gist.github.com/BHSPitMonkey/01cef0d528f374cca8cb

A TIE for Second Place ($250.00 USD each)
JRuby on Rails Admin Webapp by Justin Coyne
A Ruby on Rails front-end application to Fedora 4, that uses JRuby to deploy to the same application container as Fedora.
See: https://gist.github.com/cbeer/4957444 and https://github.com/futures/fcrepo4/pull/12

Solr4 Indexing Service by Kåre Fiedler Christiansen
A descriptive metadata indexing service that uses Solr 4.
See: https://github.com/kaarefc/fcrepo4/compare/futures:master...kaarefc:master

The Fedora Futures project is a community-funded project and we would like to thank our generous event sponsors:
Columbia University
Discovery Garden
DuraSpace
FIZ Karlsruhe
MediaShelf
Northwestern University
Oxford University
Smithsonian
Stanford University
University of Virginia
I'd like to extend a special thanks to Oxford University for providing additional support to allow us to offer cash prizes to our winners. And finally, a big thank-you to everyone who participated in the hackfests and to code4lib for throwing another great conference.

-Eddie, Chris, Jason, Adam, Ben, Frank, and Anusha