@Jason and @Michele: I'd rather stay away from a Google solution. The
reason being that they don't index everything. Our sitemap is submitted
nightly and out of about 6000 URLs only 1500 are indexed. I can't make sure
Google indexes the PDFs or be sure that they always will. (If I'm
misunderstanding this, please let me know.)

@Péter: The VuFind solution I mentioned is very similar to what you use
here. It uses Aperture (although soon to use Tika instead) to grab the
full-text and shoves everything inside a solr index. The import is managed
through a PHP script the crawls every URL on the sitemap. The only part I
don't have is removing deleted, adding new, and updating changed
webpages/files. I'm not sure how to rework the script to use a list of new
files rather than the sitemap, but everything is on the same server so that
should work.