At the Michigan State University Archives, we are wrestling with the question of where to store digital objects/AIPs: within our Fedora repository, or externally.

What are the pros and cons of each approach?

We have external storage available on an IX Systems storage device, and have been planning to use it for archival storage of AIPs with pointers in the Fedora repository; it would be synched to a second IX storage device that would function as our dark archive. We want to do our due diligence, however, to ensure that this is the right approach.

Thank you,
Lisa

Lisa M. Schmidt
Electronic Records Archivist
University Archives & Historical Collections
888 Wilson Road
Room 101 , Conrad Hall
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI  48824