How does that Drupal module compare with
https://open.umich.edu/wiki/Badges/build ?

Personally I couldn't make heads or tails of the Mozilla Badges project
until I saw this page's overview at https://wiki.mozilla.org/Badges and
https://github.com/mozilla/openbadges/wiki/Infrastructure-Requirements which
has a system diagram and explains the key concepts:
 Definitions

   - *Learner / User* - someone who has earned a badge.
   - *Issuer* - an organization which issues a badge.
   - *Badge* - an achievement, represented by a PNG file with embedded data.
   - *Baking* - the act of embedding data in the badge PNG file.
   - *Assertion* - a JSON file hosted by the issuer that describes a single
   badge and the learner it belongs to. This information is kept in plain
   text. The assertion includes a BrowserID identifier (an email address).
   - *BrowserID* - the authentication framework used in the application.
   More information on BrowserID <https://browserid.org/>.
   - *Backpack* - a learner collects multiple badges from many different
   issuers, the badges are kept in the OBI Backpack, a logical grouping of
   badges and the user that owns them.

It's an interesting idea, for sure, to send and share badges as PNGs with
embedded metadata, particularly if they can be signed and verified.

Thanks,
Louis.