From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of
Eric Lease Morgan
Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 11:57 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [CODE4LIB] web-based ocr

Does anybody here know of a Web-based OCR program or Web service?

Many people want to do OCR against digitized texts. We all know of various
OCR applications (Adobe Acrobat, ABBYY FineReader, Google's Tesseract,
etc.), but they are not necessarily Web-based. As a service to my
university, I thought it might be cool (or "kewl") to support an image to
text application. Go to Web form. Submit one or more image files. Have OCR
done against them no matter how dirty the output. Return plain text. As a
bonus, the application would support a REST-ful API.

Does anybody know of something like this that exists already?

--
Eric Lease Morgan
University of Notre Dame