The Image and Spatial Data Analysis Group at the National Center for
Supercomputing Applications, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
presented at SAA 2012 on their work with OCR and handwritten census data.
Very interesting and if I recall correctly there was mention of grant
opportunities for work on large data sets.

ISDA Census page: http://isda.ncsa.illinois.edu/drupal/project/census

Presentation on slideshare:
http://www.slideshare.net/NARACAST/free-and-searchable-access-to-the-1940-census-data

- Brian