Checksum will work well if you're wanting to find exact copies of the
file content...file metadata (like filename, access date, permissions)
would not affect the calculation of a sha1 or md5 hash, but I'm pretty
sure exif or other metadata ( which I think is usually stored in the
file header ) would change the hash. Anyone please correct me if this is
wrong. A md5/sha1 file hash would also not get any image derivatives,
like crops or they added text or tweaked the contrast or photoshopped
their cat into the shot.

There are also various perceptive hash algromiths that you can
caluculate to compare image content. I think the 3 most popular is
Average Hash, Perceptive Hash, and Difference Hash ...a good blog post I
saw on HackerNews about this is.. uh, here =>
http://www.hackerfactor.com/blog/index.php?/archives/432-Looks-Like-It.html
and here =>
http://www.hackerfactor.com/blog/index.php?/archives/529-Kind-of-Like-That.html
. I've used pHash before, got good results but it is super duper
slow...or at least how I wrote it.  dHash is newer and looks better.
  There's various implimentations of these in different languages...
here's a python library that has all 3 =>
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/ImageHash/0.1 (I haven't used this tho.)

If you really wanted to geek out, you could look into some machine
learning techniques to build a classifier that groups the images for
you, which might be more a PhD project for someone....

A less sexy but really good strategy would also be to use AWS Mechanical
Turk, which I think seems like a really good way to get some basic
image annotation.
Good luck!

b,chris.