Hi,

I recently looked into similar services...

There are some cloud based vendors that do this. Abbyy, for example,
offers one. But the cost seems rather high when working in bulk. I did
the math and it didn't make sense for us....I think they market it
towards people building mobile apps, not scanning books.

Luckily, the Internet Archive OCRs documents uploaded to it for free.
And the OCR results are pretty good (or better than I ever got with
Tesseract) . So I use that a lot. However, you have to upload your
document in a specific zipped up package... I don't think there's a
generic web form.

For something like that, I'd suggest ... Google Drive. It OCRs documents
fairly well, although they have a size limit. We're using Google Apps
for Education as our Digital Repository, so that works pretty well for a
lot of our smaller documents...

b,chris.