I recommend looking at pdfbeads. It's in ruby and the documentation is
mostly in Russian (
http://rubyforge.org/docman/view.php/9752/10692/pdfbeads.ru.html ), but
it provides both a library and an easy to use executiable to build PDFs
out of hOCR files and images. You literally just point it at a directory
with page images and hOCR files and it spits out a PDF. Very handy.

Also, the DIY Book Scanner forum (diybookscanner.org ) is a great
resource if you're into these sorts of things...