Does anybody here know of a Web-based OCR program or Web service?

Many people want to do OCR against digitized texts. We all know of various OCR applications (Adobe Acrobat, ABBYY FineReader, Google's Tesseract, etc.), but they are not necessarily Web-based. As a service to my university, I thought it might be cool (or "kewl") to support an image to text application. Go to Web form. Submit one or more image files. Have OCR done against them no matter how dirty the output. Return plain text. As a bonus, the application would support a REST-ful API.

Does anybody know of something like this that exists already?

--
Eric Lease Morgan
University of Notre Dame