FYI - the Image::OCR::Tesseract install was a real pain for me on RHEL. I kept running into problems getting one of the dependency modules Time::Format (Date::Manip::TZ_Base errors) installed on RHEL. Eventually I had to install Date::Manip via YUM, then do a force install of Time::Format. After that Image::OCR::Tesseract refused to recognice that the Tesseract executable was installed because the source code compile and installed placed the executable in /usr/local/bin and not /usr/bin. Once I moved the Tesseract executable to /usr/bin the Image::OCR::Tesseract module install worked fine (ImageMagick and Leptonica having been previously installed).


-----Original Message-----
From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Eric Lease Morgan
Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 8:54 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] web-based ocr

On Mar 13, 2013, at 8:07 AM, Ben Brumfield <[log in to unmask]> wrote:


Interesting. Printed for future reference. Thank you.

BTW, I did finally get Image::OCR::Tesseract to make, make test, and make install correctly. I did not have the correct/proper libraries installed for Tesseract's supporting Leptonica library. Now I need to find a PDF library similar to libtff and libpng. 

Eric Morgan