The main problem as I see it is that Series are Hard; Let's Go Shopping.
The way that series get cataloged can be kind of mindboggling, and I think
one of the advantages of NoveList is that they define their series in a way
that Normal Humans (as opposed to catalogers) would find reasonable. Though
of course, this is limited to fiction in the case of NoveList.

Not sure how good LibraryThing is at the same procedure, but it might be an
alternative. A little bird tells me that NoveList is available through the
standard EBSCO APIs as long as you have API access configured in your
subscription.